Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The most important cultural event of 2014 in Wales is the centennial celebration of Dylan Thomas’s birth in 1914. Dylan Marlais Thomas was born on the 27th October 2014 in Number 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea. He spent his formative year there until moving to London in 1934. He left school at 16 and started work as a reporter on the local newspaper. He wrote many of his early work in and about Cwmdonkin park and the Gower peninsula and his best known works are the poems "Do not go gentle into that good night" and "And death shall have no dominion", the "play for voices", Under Milk Wood, and stories and radio broadcasts such as A Child's Christmas in Wales and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog. He first caught the attention of the literary world in 1934 but although he was regarded as a popular poet he found earning a living as a writer difficult. His main source of income was from radio work with the BBC and reading tours. He made several visits to the US where his readings brought him a great deal of fame. He died in New York on the 9th November 1953. Two well known Americans will undoubtedly be joining in with the celebrations. President Jimmy Carter is a lifelong Dylan Thomas fan. He was instrumental in getting a memorial plaque erected to Thomas in Poet's Corner in Westminster Abbey in 1982 and in 1995 he opened the Dylan Thomas Centre in Swansea (Ty Llen). He is a frequent visitor to Swansea and he has voiced the introduction of an audio visual tour of Dylan’s family home in Cwmdonkin Drive. The other is the singer songwriter Robert Zimmerman who rebranded himself as Bob Dylan in the early 1960’s in recognition of Dylan Thomas’s poetry.

Dylan Thomas 100 - Programme of events

The Gower Peninsula and the City of Swansea

Gower Map

Gower or the Gower Peninsula (Welsh: Gwyr or Penrhyn Gŵyr) is a peninsula in south Wales, projecting westwards into the Bristol Channel, and administratively part of the City and County of Swansea. In 1956, Gower became the first area in the United Kingdom to be designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
About 70 square miles (180 km2) in area, Gower is known for its coastline, popular with walkers and outdoor enthusiasts, especially surfers. Gower has many caves, including Paviland Cave and Minchin Hole Cave. The peninsula is bounded by the Loughor Estuary to the north and Swansea Bay to the east.

The interior of Gower consists mainly of farmland and common land. The population resides mainly in villages and small communities, though suburban development has made a number of communities in eastern Gower part of the Swansea Urban Area.

The southern coast consists of a series of small, rocky or sandy bays, such as Langland and Three Cliffs, and larger beaches such as Port Eynon, Rhossili and Oxwich Bay. The north of the peninsulais predominantly salt marsh, and is home to the cockle-beds of Penclawdd.

Wales is known to have been inhabited since at least the Upper Paleolithic period, and the Gower Peninsula has been the scene of several important archaeological discoveries.

In the 1950s, Cambridge University excavating in a cave on the peninsula found 300-400 pieces of flint related to tool making, and dated it to between 12,000-14,000 BC. In 2010 an instructor from Bristol University, exploring caves in the same area, discovered a rock drawing of a red deer from the same period- which may be the oldest cave art found in Great Britain.

Gower is also home to menhirs or standing stones from the Bronze Age. Of the nine stones, eight remain today.

The remains of Sweyne Howes on Rhossili Down, Penmaen Burrows Tomb (Pen-y-Crug) and Nicholaston Long Cairn are three other well-known Neolithic chambered tombs. During the Bronze Age, people continued to use local caves as a source of shelter and for burying their dead. Bronze Age evidence, such as funeral urns, pottery and human remains have been found in Tooth Cave at Llethryd, Culver Hole (Llangennith) and Cat Hole Cave.

Romans built Leucarum, a rectangular or trapezoidal fort at the mouth of the River Loughor in the late 1st century to house a regiment of Roman auxiliary troops but but this was abandoned after approximately 300 years.